Best Charcoal Smoker Reviews 2016 – When an authentic barbecue has been tasted by people for the first time they get drawn to the flavor that is explosive and at the same time the tenderness of the food. This finding many at times lead the people to wonder if it is possible that they can recreate the same taste at home, unfortunately to get food that tastes as good as a professionally cooked barbecue you cannot just throw some food on the grill.
Best Charcoal Smoker Reviews 2016
It is no wonder that people who want an authentic barbecue use a charcoal smoker because the way to cook a barbecue is just as important as the sauce you put on it. Professional and amateur BBQ chef’s across the world use the charcoal smoker as the gold standard. If one wants to make a good meat at home one could use the standard grill but to make some serious stuff like making ribs, pulled pork or bacon, fish or turkey then it becomes absolutely necessary to have a smoker.
Smokers are available in various shapes and sizes but the important thing to bear in mind is that you need to control flow of heat and air inside the smoker, by doing this you can slowly smoke meats with genuine BBQ flavor. During the cooking process, the best charcoal smoker will give you the precise details and controls of the temperature.
However, one needs to keep an eye on the food, but because of the constant environment it gives you a lot of leeway. Also when you use a good quality charcoal smoker, ash, flyaway soot, and creosote are taken care ;this gives you opportunity to concentrate on the cooking process.
3 Best Charcoal Smoker Reviews
Best Charcoal Smoker No. 1 – Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker Smoker 18.5 Inch
The Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker by far does a great job of making backyard smoking easy and reliable. Temperature and wind changes are easily compensated by the 18.5 inch smoker which has multiple vents , this comes with two nickel-plated grates for 481 square inches of cooking space.
The Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker comes with a water pan, built-in thermometer and a storage cover. It’s solid construction is what sets this smoker apart from others. This won’t break easily even if f you’re going to be loading and unloading your smoker constantly. Durability is assured due to its porcelain-enamel coating which prevents rusting, due to these 2 factors of dependability and durability you’ll find yourself using this smoker for many years.
- Wide Charcoal Door — The Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker 18.5 Inch door makes it easy to load charcoal, when the unit is in use this prevents users from knocking the water pan into the coals. In comparison other units tend to ignore this fact, which makes them difficult to use.
- Door Latch – The door is always secure by a spring-loaded door latch, in comparison other models without a spring-loaded door are susceptible to open while the unit is in use.
- Thermometer – Another useful feature is the thermometer that is built into the lid of the unit which allows you to control the temperature of the unit thereby saving you a few precious dollars anywhere in the range of $50.
- Ash Catch Pan – Cleaning the unit becomes a simple task, one does not have to deal with dirty ashes flying all over the place, all that one has to do is simply empty the catch pan as all the ashes are collected in the pan when it is burnt.
- One has to be really careful with the front access door which is delicate and one needs to be careful not to bend it out of shape. The only real drawback with this unit is that the front access door is a little flimsy, so you have to be careful not to bend it out of shape.
The Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker smoker is a great buy and value for the price; compared to the more expensive units, it performs well and is easy to use. The other features of smoke production which is perfect and the thermometer makes it easy to maintain temperature.
Check current price on Amazon
Best Charcoal Smoker No. 2 – Weber 731001 Smokey Mountain Cooker
The Weber 731001 Smokey Mountain Cooker delivers at home an authentic smokehouse flavor. This unit has two nickel-plated 22-1/2 inch cooking grates which gives you 726 inches of ample cooking space. The unit comes with individual vents, snap on cover and a water pan. One should not lose out on this product which comes with a 10 year limited warranty.
The smoker is built of porcelain-enamel steel, and features a built-in thermometer that helps to maintain a constant temperature of the unit. The space provided is more than the 18 inch unit, which mean you can now cook more food all at once. One does not have to monitor the unit to ensure that it is lit and cooking properly as the unit itself regulates its temperature, though it is not the cheapest smoker on the market, it’s worth it.
One can slowly smoke meats for 10-12 hours and leave it on for without having to worry and check on the same every couple of minutes. Another unique feature is its charcoal stand that collects ashes without extinguishing the flame.
Likes its predecessor the 18.5 inch model, one again needs to be careful with the access door which is again delicate and any hard pressure will bend the door. However once the door is in place it creates a good seal you need not have to be messed again. The charcoal door has been made big to allow adding or removing charcoal during the cooking process while other units make it almost impossible to do this.
- Ample room space
- Ease of use
- Convenient digital thermometer
- Huge quantity of food can fit inside
- No need to add extra charcoal, can smoke for eight hours
- Fire never extinguishes as the charcoal is raised above the ash.
- Durable cover
Overall the Weber 731001 is a great smoker. The cooking space is huge, and it can easily fit in almost any food that you can imagine. The internal temperature is maintained very well, also one needs not worry about the ash extinguishing the flame. The unit is a value buy and worth its money considering the sheer size and the heat retention qualities.
Check current price on Amazon
Best Charcoal Smoker No. 3 – Dyna-Glo DGO1176BDC-D Charcoal Offset Smoker
The Dyna-Glo is a cute looking unit that features a dual door access. The body of the unit is made of steel, but is not as strong as compared to other units in the market. The unit tends to lose heat when one is cooking as it is a bit thin for a smoker. This unit needs to be monitored to make sure when cooking on a cold days.
Powder Coated Finish – As the powder coating on the unit is very thin, one needs to be careful of storing the unit during the rains or snow, it is best not to leave the unit out in the open. If one needs to leave it outside, ensure that it is covered with plastic or tarp. Ensure to take utmost care of the units as the steel is thin and may need replacement if it begins to rust.
- Cheap and it cooks reasonably well.
- A good starting unit.
- Addition of wood chips to the unit to enhance the food flavor as the Dyna-Glo can cook a lot of food at once.
- Smoke leaks through the firebox, and maintaining temperature becomes a problem, this problem can be fixed by using glue on the edges but few prefer it that way.
- There are many people who complain that the unit does not maintain temperature very well as the Dyna-Glo has thin steel walls, also some people complain of not getting correct reading from the thermometer that comes with the unit.
For the price the Dyna-Glo is a great charcoal smoker.
Check current price on Amazon